Thursday, October 4, 2012

The Great Debate

And so the great debate persists: To repair and use the skylight, or just fill it in and make it part of the ceiling...
I am sort of mildly anti-sky light. I am preoccupied with the increased light that spills in overhead. I never feel like it's really dark and private in the bedroom. Someone could be flying overhead with one of those Google Earth hi-def cameras... do I want my picture snapped while catching an illicit nap? And it's always a shade or two lighter than the ceiling even in the depths of night, so that when I can't sleep, I fixate. It's also really hard to find our particular skylight model. I think it's old. Most are now narrowly rectangular and ours is square. I can think of a million more uses for the money that it will cost to replace it.
The proponents of skylights (that  would be Bob and a host of friends that seem to think sky lights are swell) believe that the increased light is a good thing. And that when you crack the sky light open by way of long metal hand crank, there is greater air circulation and it vents the hot air trapped in the bedroom. Those are pretty good arguments for!
In the meantime, we have this picture above our heads. Bob rigged a screen so as to keep flying insects out (just what are they doing that high up in the sky?) and it presents an interesting moire pattern in a quirky green. Is this better than the previous incarnation of a black insulation panel> I'm undecided.
Oh, and the great debate allusion WAS to the first of the presidential debates last night, but I'm too perplexed by what transpired. President Obama should have creamed that shape-shifting Romney, who attempted to paint himself as some sort of centerist! We all know Romney'll change his positions depending on which way the wind blows. Don't get me started....

No comments:

Post a Comment