Thursday, October 3, 2013

Rafters Away

This morning we had all three walls up. Thanks (again!) to our saintly neighbors who came to our wall raising rescue at the end of the day yesterday. Our friend Joe had car trouble and our neighbors came over and assisted in the raising of the third wall. We would have felt so entirely deflated if they hadn't helped! We feel like we're racing against time and weather and work and so many variables... That's Bob up on the ladder, Thursday morning, shimming up the place where our walls meet.
Today was exciting because after a few delays and a measuring meltdown or two, we actually made good head way in erecting the rafters.
Each rafter had to lifted in place, measured and taken down so that a small notch could be cut in the end farthest from the house and relifted into place and then nailed. I got to be on the low end, which as I am really, really, really afraid of heights and detest ladder work (and have odd depth perception to boot) is fine with me. But mind you, the "low end" is over my head and there's all this open space and I wasn't comfortable at all. Bob, who is definitely part monkey, scampered up and down the high ladder, with that 20 foot long 2x6 board on his shoulder. I'm tired and I carried only a portion of the weight of all these rafters; I can imagine that Bob is exhausted. But we got most of them up!
Holy cow! It actually looks like a building! The space is nicely defined now: it has volume when you stand in it, or look back at the studio. (This is the side nearest our backyard, looking towards the driveway.)
I'm certainly glad, when I look back on all the work that we've done on a simple addition, attached to the house, that we weren't crazy enough to have attempted building a whole house. I don't think either Bob or I are natural born carpenters, but we're getting it done!

No comments:

Post a Comment