Sunday, April 19, 2015

A Rambling Spring Feverish Posting

Incredibly, this is the only thing blooming in our yard at present. With all the plants and crazy planting that Bob and I do, you'd think there would be something more than this lonely little white bloom cluster (on a stem of Abeliophyllum distichum, commonly called White Forsythia, or Korean Forsythia given to us by our good friend Bob Santin. Oh Bob! Giver of many plants! Grower of many plants! Giver of purloined peonies!) Have I mentioned that I neglected to purchase almost any bulbs (with the exception of left over, reduced tulips) last fall? All those visions of species crocus and giant aliums and frittilaria and chinodoxia... the anguish! But hey! I was busy and making art for several important shows.
I finished cleaning up the garden and have been spreading compost and starting seeds and assessing what made it through the winter and who croaked. So far, I am impressed with things like returning delphinium. Many other plants are taking their sweet time; probably because there was snow cover until only like a week ago. An ice! There was ice under some leaves that I was cleaning up last week. Gone now, but it has been chilly.
(Picture has nothing to do with text alert. Although, come to think of it, this is a picture of a place we looked at years ago. The barn got torn down but the silo remained. I guess we explored "alternative housing possibilities"... we do live in a chicken coop, so why not barns and silos?! But this does serve to remind me that I was planning a project where I rephotograph places we almost bought... like dismantled barns. And house now torn down (with good reasons.))
On an entirely different note, today was not a good day for faucets of all things. First, I went to turn on the outside faucet to water some transplants and there was no knob. I stood there, stumped for a moment and then looked on the ground and saw the vise grip that we had used to turn the faucet. Obviously, it had fallen off during the winter. I couldn't really get it to stay on as well as Bob but I managed and watered my little green friends. But later in the day, I went to Staples to pick up my laminating and I got glue all over my fingers as I collated the pages. (I get sticky fast). I didn't really think of it until I went to the grocery store and realized I was sticking to the basket, so I went to wash my hands. When I went to turn on the sink, the knob of the faucet came off in my hands. Is it me or maybe the stars are aligned in the constellation of Spigot?  And don't get me going about getting locked in the bathroom at work the other day. That was really funny!
Probably not my most salient posting but I'm a bit dopey do to over oxygenation. This happens every spring and I roll with it; it's actually very pleasant! But you can't expect brilliance.

No comments:

Post a Comment