Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Garden Mistakes

Okay, we'll start with the good stuff. I especially like this view of the garden, with everything sort of spilling backwards towards the horse barn (which always looks so much tinier than it is.) There's plenty going on: Spireas echoing the color of the Chamaecyparis obtusa "cripsii" and the variegated yucca. And to the left, there's some good bright red from a Weigiela(also with variegated leaves). And a good dark section thanks to the bronzey foliage of Physocarpus opulifolius "Coppertina" (commonly called "ninebark".)  And the white and green variegated ribbon grass in the right adds a bright spot. Nice! Lots going on...
And this will serve to distract us from the inevitable... Garden Mistakes. Oh! The horrors!
Both of my admission to major mistakes are in the Blue Garden. You can imagine what the problem is: the flowers are not blue.
See that? Nice tall spikes of Camassia but the danged things were supposed to be BLUE. I plant these bulbs in the fall and have to wait half a year to discover that there's been a labeling mistake. I contemplated pouring a pint of blue food color around the roots, thinking maybe the plant would draw the color upwards into the flowers... But no, I'll dig them up and move them to the white section. Alas.
Here's the next travesty:
Yes, it's magnificent. A beautiful volunteer foxglove (Digitalis) from somewhere but why did it have to land here in the Blue Garden and be such a pretty speckled pink? So I'm torn. It is truly out of place in the Blue Garden, but I can't just yank it out. I will probably dig it out once it starts to set seed as I'd love it to sow itself... just not here!



No comments:

Post a Comment