Sunday, January 10, 2016

Coming In and Out of Closets

Isn't it funny that as soon as you conceive a house project, it leads to three, four (or more!) ideas... and they are all interconnected? That's what's going on in the minds of Bob and Rita. The above hall shot was an interesting starting point- conceptually, that is- as we have not actually begun any of these Big Ideas; they're all in the "planning phase". Both Bob and I (in one of those synchronistic occurrences) had similar ideas about re-configuring and "upgrading" the hallway. It is the first spot that most people see when entering the house and it's some introduction. Granted, it is where everything from paint and tools ready for the next project to the ever-soaking container of beet pulp for Maggie the Mexican Pony's  next meal land. And assorted coats, boots, dying onions and everything else on the way from here to there. But it's a place to hurry through and apologize for. (It does serve the important function of making every other area of the house look better by comparison so maybe we should leave it alone.)
But let's face it: once that's agreed upon as a potential improvement, all the other similar projects jump into awareness.Like the front door becoming a front door and not a stereo equipment and art storage cupboard. Here's a shot of that area:
Yes, there is really a front door behind that cabinet! This should all be in my studio. But until the closet in my studio annex is emptied of my clothing and shelves are built, there's no place to move my clothing:
The clothing will ultimately be at the top of the stairs, where we now have one of my paintings and a table and chair hiding the horror that resides behind them:
(There's Jules in the foreground, protecting one of his favorite places to sleep). Bob and I know there is ancient water damage behind the painting and there's a bit of deconstruction/reconstruction to tackle prior to assembling my closet here. See my point about a bunch of juggling?
But it's exciting! Because we have practical and very do-able thoughts on sliding shoji screens to hide the closet contents. Just think of it, especially that original hallway picture... here it is again, to refresh the memory:
Remove the cabinets at the end of the hall, construct narrow shelves all streamlined along the right hand side- hidden from sight behind simple, clean lined geometrically framed screens.... ooohhh! I think this could be very cool! And very modern! And clean. Hell, who cares what goes on behind the closed screens!







2 comments:

  1. Yeah I completely agree with you dear. It is really a hard task. I am a party planner and my work is quite similar to you. So I really liked the post you shared with us. Currently I am seeking recommendations for some garden party San Francisco venues. Please help me friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry! We are on the East coast.

    ReplyDelete