Tuesday, March 14, 2017

The 900 Pound Patient in the Field

Yup! That's Miserable Maggie and her delightfully abscessed hoof. Here's a close up:
Swaddled in the ol' standby remedy of Epson salts and iodine mixed into a poultice and slapped into a disposable diaper and strapped on with duct tape! My poor Mexican pony!
Maggie started favoring her foot on Thursday.On Friday, in the midst of a spontaneous snow storm and swirling winds, she was really down for the count. Her leg was so retracted upwards to her belly that I began to fear that she had ruptured a tendon or broken a bone. And when I came home from work, she wasn't even standing: she was laying full face down in the snow and mud. I thought she was a goner.
I called the vet on Saturday and Hallelujah! They have Saturday hours. Since Maggie had made it through the 6 degree night (with a minus zero wind chill) I was pretty sure she'd survive, but the vet came and confirmed our diagnosis of a particularly deep and nasty abscess. So once the hoof was wrapped and she had consumed a couple of sizeable horsey pain pills, crushed and camouflaged in molasses and grated carrot, I was relieved that she didn't require a bullet to the forehead. I am happy to report that two days later, she's actually walking a way that resembles walking*- just in time for a Bombogenesis or Bombodelic or Bombolicious (something like that!) storm! (A sudden drop of 24 or more milibars... whatever that means.)
 So we await Stella and already have four or five inches of the fluffy white stuff. Our house is warm (that's another story) and Bob's going to make a pork roast and we have a coconut cake (looked like a snow storm!) and a box of wine. I think we'll survive! Here's a picture to warm us up and cheer our flagging winter-weary spirits:
I am a sucker for the primroses that all the supermarkets sell at this time of year. And these were marked down! The weirdest part to me is that they are actually hardy and if I don't kill them with intermittent over watering and allowing them to dry out and wilt, I can plant them out if Spring ever arrives!

* You have to imagine a 900 pound beast limping on three legs- not a pleasant sight!


No comments:

Post a Comment