Tuesday, September 4, 2018

A Bee in My Bonnet

While I may be referring to "bees in my bonnet" metaphorically- like I do have crazy things buzzing around mentally and emotionally and socially and politically, I'll put those temporarily on hold and discuss the REAL bees.
Case in point is our hummingbird feeder where our beloved hummingbirds gorge themselves at this time of year, in preparation for their long flight south for the winter months. However, instead of hummers, we have attracted hundreds of deranged and suicidal honey bees. These bees have a million flower choices to pick from but have somehow, in a misguided and fatal mission, decided to main line sugar water. They can't get enough: some of them actually squeeze themselves into the tiny holes provided for hummingbird beaks and then they drown. This is doubly terrible as the honeybees- pollinators that we are more than happy to draw to our garden and help make our local honey- are dying in our feeder in crazy numbers. And worse, my friends the hummingbirds are unable to dine at the feeder because of all the swarming bees! I can't win!
In disgust, I took down the feeder and cleaned it and have stored it for the season...
And on another even less appealing note, Bob calls my attention to the gigantic hornets nest (Or wasp nest?) that is being duly constructed outside my studio window. Who knew? I've had that window cracked open and have walked directly beneath that huge hive with nary a problem, blissfully unawares of the hundreds (perhaps thousands!) of wasps building a megalopolis above my head! Not much you can do about that until cold weather comes except be careful and don't go poking any long sticks into it! There are plenty of other places to go looking for trouble!

No comments:

Post a Comment