Sunday, April 11, 2021

Loser's Club Revisited!

 

So much for "hunches"and feelings of certainty! I was so sure that that above masterpiece, "Quilt of Exhaustion", was going to get selected for inclusion in a "modern" quilt show, that I even had a box picked out to mail it in! And then I receive the dreaded "not invited" email. ("Not invited"??!??! It's like be excluded from some popular kid's birthday party! They used to reject us, then they not accepted us, then they declined us. Now we're "not invited". Hahhahaha!)

And what's not to love about that piece above? It has poop emoji/Phillip Guston inspired font, actual batting sandwiched between two snuggly flannel layers, millions of small thread tacks affixing front to back (and I have the pierced fingers to prove it!) and it has almost 200 hand-tied recycled plastic baling twine fringes!!! (Like almost 200 feet of baling twine, lovingly knotted into prickly fringe!!) Haven't we all just been so tired of "winning" these last four years that we wanted to crawl back under the covers? This is a quilt of truth for our times!

Detail of the fringe:

Ironic, no, that the text reads "so tired of winning" and I didn't win. Sad! Artists put up with this sort of nonsense constantly: a friend suggested I apply, I do and feel totally confident and then comes rejection. The stupidest part is that they never tell you WHY you were "not invited". The least they could do if offer a brief explanation of their decision... like "puke-y colors! or "really dumb idea" or "don't quit your day job", or "What were you thinking??!"

I have a sneaking suspicion that I was rejected because my piece is (as usual) political and the show was in Indiana (not known for being a hot bed of radical leftist art. I mean Mike Pence is from there!) This is despite one of the jurors claiming to construct "political" quilts. Who knows!!

Anyway, win some, lose some and I am in another show coming up, so all is not lost! But Bob and I have dusted off our Loser's club tee shirts and are lifting a glass to future invitations.


 


No comments:

Post a Comment