Sunday, September 11, 2011

Not Horsin' Around

Who knew it would be so hard to sell a horse? Not just any horse, but MY horse? Because of my eye, because of the kind of riding I'll be doing at our house (trail vs ring-riding) because of too many reasons to list, it is important that I sell Crispin. He's a good horse- a NICE horse (although we've had a checkered relationship...).
I decided a few months back that I'd list him on several equine sites, put up flyers at tack shops, stop by lesson barns... in short, do all the right things. But due to the economy or unpredictable weather events and who knows? perhaps unfavorable astrological omens, I haven't had any response to my attempts to recycle Crispin.
So today, I'll do what I do several times a week. Pack up my grooming supplies in the car and go visit the horse. This is inconvienient and makes me feel guilty as poor Crispin probably feels neglected and unloved. (Actually, he's hanging with his horse buddies and is very contented to eat all day and gives me a very pointed, "What are YOU doing here?" look when I climb over the fence into his pasture.) He has no idea.
I have only a couple of options, none of them perfect. I can give Crispin away, which seems crazy and counter productive. Apparently, many people are doing this as they cannot afford the upkeep but I just can't consider that seriously... would I ever get another horse? Would Crispin get a good home?
Or, we can find a way (in the midst of everything else we're trying to do) to put up a fence and secure some decent hay for the winter and bring him home. But I suspect that Crispin is very "herd bound" and wouldn't relish living alone. Some horses do just fine on their own, but not our boy! Additionally, as I need further eye surgery, Bob would be elected to do most barn chores for several months, in the middle of winter, with little direct benefit as he doesn't ride. (The manure is nice and there's plenty of it!) I suppose I can hope he suddenly develops "horse fever" and longs to gallop off into the sunset.
The last option is to eat him. As I haven't been able to ride for several months, I'm sure his muscle tone is slack and he's probably nice and tender. I've heard the French love horse meat so Bob could find some tasty recipes and we'd eat for free all winter. Even Jules would benefit! Our freezer is empty after Huricane Irene so this idea is gathering steam...

No comments:

Post a Comment