Thursday, March 28, 2013

A Drive Down Memory Lane

I recently had occasion to drive past several "houses" that Bob and I looked at prior to landing in real estate nirvana (in the location of our present address at the BauHaus Chicken Coop). Above is all that remains from a truly decrepit barn- and a smaller, not too bad barn. This is sad to see! When we toured this property, yes, it was bad (Our real estate agent ran back to his car) but there were cows living there. And the property itself is nice: still rural and rolling and in a very pretty area. I guess no one else was crazy enough to even look. We actually dragged a carpenter friend along with us; he was polite enough to tell us we were out of our minds! We'd never have gotten a mortgage on this place.
And then there was this place:
This house has really come up in the world! When we toured this location, they wouldn't even let us in the house. I believe there was a small issue involving the structural state of the floors and the staircase.It was pretty old, possibly spook-ridden and there was definitely a grave stone in the back yard. There was also a huge boat (!?) that someone had been constructing and several barns. One barn- a rambling, lop- sided affair is gone but the smaller barn was also nicely redone.
I think quite a few trees were removed, too, as I remember a row of evergreens that don't seem to be there anymore. I'm glad to see that this place got the attention it deserved. It was interesting to happen on a couple of these "Coulda been Ours" (or more like: My God! What were we thinking!) I'm still eternally grateful that Bob and I wound up where we are: it really is home.


No comments:

Post a Comment