Saturday, March 16, 2013

Dessert 'Shrooms

I always maintain that if you leave artist's alone with anything- food, clothes, building materials- they'll start playing with it and make it into something else. That's what happened with our dessert the other evening.
We had one humongous banana left. I didn't want to eat the whole thing so I decided that Bob and I would share... but with a cookie jammed on top as a roof.
I had made cookies the day before- call them macaroons (not the coconut kind, but the Frenchie ones) or Italian amaretto cookies (as the book did). They're really good and crumbly and chewy at the time and taste like almonds. Nothing could be simpler than these cookies; you use almond flour in place of any regular flour and egg whites and sugar. It made a great dessert as there was smooth, creamy, crunchy, sticky nexus in your mouth. And they looked like great big toadstools.
Bob and I do like to experiment, and sometimes on friends. Obviously, what we consume is sometimes pretty entertaining and not always everyone's cup of tea. Once we served a few friends a "recipe" that we prepare occasionally that consists of length-wise sliced bananas spread with peanut butter and topped with chocolate chips. You then broil these creations for a few minutes. We think they're delicious. One of our friends said it made her think of something you'd serve to children at a kid's party. I'm not sure if that was a compliment exactly...
I guess that's a nice segue into the announcement that I am hard at work on a cookbook. Yes, I who do not cook am composing an artist's book entitled "Recipes for Disaster: From the Studio to the Kitchen". It's a fun project because I can construct/erect/destroy all these interesting assemblages of food and stuff and then photograph them... just like a "real" cookbook. As my sense of humor is often that of an adolescent eighth grade boy, all hell is breaking out. But it's a bit different as I'm working with weird edible materials and photographs. I'll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment