Monday, October 6, 2014

A Very Odd Posting! (for Hope)

Well! Seeing as how my attempts to email pictures of my mathematical collages has failed miserably and very mysteriously, I have concocted this scheme. I will use a blog post to exhibit a few of my images for Math 4 Artists, one of my artist's books with profound educational overtones! those of you tired of my work and sure that you have seen enough are dismissed until next posting! Those of you named Hope who have been kind enough to express interest... look here!
Here is my multiplication table. I was never any good at multiplying: all that carrying imaginary numbers from place to place. And they say artists are crazy! We were told that if you multiply a negative number by a negative number you get a ... positive number? Don't get me started.
Anyway, the above collaged multiplication table is much easier on the eyes than the grim inevitably black and white pseudo- Soviet looking math tables we were forced to memorize.
And this is (very small!) my Periodic Table of the Elements. Again, how much more fascinating is this? I cut out innumerable tiny numbers and letters but made the table exciting and beautiful! Which it is, when you consider how much information is crammed into that nifty format. I've always been totally in love with the Periodic Table and have actually done several versions. One of which is large (like 3 feet high and 5 feet wide- perfect for installing on a classroom wall!
And speaking of the number five, here's one of my individual number interpretations:
I picked five but I've done them all- even a table of Prime Numbers. So, I hope you could view these. Any questions? There will be a quiz tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Okay, here's how ancient/out-of-it I am, but yours is only the second blog I've ever seen, I've certainly never been the addressee of one (if that's the right term), and this comment is the first one I've ever attempted making on such a site. (I think I tried on my friend's blog but was blocked as I had no "social-network profile.")

    In any event, I really love these pieces, especially the first two, and I am trying to figure out if and how they might be incorporated into our books. I'll respond via e-mail post haste! : -

    ReplyDelete