Saturday, January 31, 2015

Just Say ... NO

This week's sermon is about the power of a simple, single word. The word is "No". It's amazing how useful and powerful that short two letter word can be.
I have a history of being a bit of a push over. In fact, I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've been asked as an artist to do something or donate something. Occasionally, it's for a very good cause and is sort of fun, to boot, but let's be real, most of the time you feel exploited. A case in point (without mentioning any names) is an art organization in a local city that had the audacity to send out a call for artwork submissions for their annual fundraiser. This very same art organization has refused and rejected me and many of my very talented friends too many times to count. But somehow, they felt comfortable soliciting art works and in the same breath, announcing how lucky you as an artist would be to pay an additional $50 for the privilege of attending and schmoozing at their event. Do I have this straight? They want freebie art donations and money so that you can attend and meet the people who just might buy your piece? Too creepy. I think I said "NO" to that request in several hundred ways...
But there are loads of things that I'd love to do- shows I'd like to submit to but I'd have to create a whole new work for... where do you find the time?
I frequently have the following conversation with artist friends: not only do we need to make the artwork, but we need to hold at least one job to support ourselves and our art habit and then we need to promote our work. Oh,. and we need to do all those other responsibilities that require time, attention and money like go to motor vehicles and register the car, wash the bathroom floor, shop for dog and pony food. The list goes on and on.
This past week, I owned up to the fact that between having made work for two entirely different but important shows, going to work (where we're always behind), running into New York/New Haven dodging snow storms to be present for important events and all those other family/friend related obligations, I am really tired and need to get back into my studio and start some of the ideas percolating through my brain. I said "No" to two offers that ordinarily I may well have agreed to. And I felt good. I felt happy and in control of my own time.
It also spurred me to start a whole new batch of work, loosely structured around the word "NO". The work above is only the beginning. And who knows? If I say "No" frequently enough, maybe i'll get to the point where saying "Yes" feels good again!

2 comments:

  1. ok I'll try again. I thought I posted a comment and then the blog police redirected me.
    So anyhoo, as I was saying!!
    I love that this Blog starts out about "this week's sermon"!! LOL
    ...You made "NO" look so nice

    ReplyDelete