Monday, August 21, 2017

Gardening as a Contact Sport Etc


This is what I look like after an afternoon of heavy gardening... filthy and in need of a through cleaning. I had no idea I was so dirty as I shed my shorts, but the mud that ran off of my into the shower was impressive. I probably could have planted seeds on my knees!
Additionally, I looked like I had been cutting myself as the sharp embrace that the Miscanthus I was weeding around scored my tender fore arms:
Ouch! I'm not kidding about it being a contact sport. I will also remind you that I suffered several rounds of poison ivy as well as stings inflicted by angry hornets. Pain ans suffering to deliver that beautiful garden. But the reception by participants in the garden tour was great: everyone loved our gardens and were very impressed with all our hard work. It was so entirely worth it, on so many levels. First, our place looks terrific and we get to live with that. Check out what Bob did with the door frame behind that terrace area:
Look! No broken board. No wine corks stuck on nail heads. (Not kidding.) No baby birds living in the wall. It's sealed up and weather proof and looks clean and wonderful. Being on a garden tour is great motivation for getting all those big (and small) details completed.
Bob and I are both pleasantly exhausted and glad that we committed to the garden tour, but we're also glad that it's behind us.
And I promise my next posting will be about art- remember that?


No comments:

Post a Comment