Monday, August 28, 2017

Work in Progress


As promised, this posting will be about art. First, I must commend myself that I am now on blog posting #502! Congratulations to me! I am pretty amazed at my capacity to keep blogging away (although my suspicion is that it has something to do with not being able to shut up...). Anyway, when I started out with BobnRita's House Party, I didn't really worry/wonder about where it would go. And hell: there's no end in sight!
So the hideousness of the current administration continues to offer plenty of raw material for me to embellish into works of art.The above offering is a case in point. I was channeling The First Daughter as she answered the inquiries of a newscaster who had asked whether she was "complicit" with her father. Not understanding the meaning of the word, she had concurred that she was indeed "complicit". (She thought it simply implied her being in accord with The Orange Menace's activities and not being a criminal accomplice.) Anyway, I was inspired to create a piece, ripe with epaulets and plenty of gold and fringe (a friend suggested that it smacked of The Dallas Cheerleaders, and all the rethuglican tackiness that recommends!) Another friend said that the white twinkly stars made her think of advertising for laundry soap or toothpaste. That's on target because I wanted to allude to the overly white teeth of the First family. The stars and letters are made of very thick, very white vinyl.
This piece has been kicking my butt as I attempted to render a slightly 3D padding of the letters (I tried several methods before hitting on thin foam as is used for cushions) and the edges had to be sewed three times to hem the front, attach front to back and finally secure the fringe (which felt like a mile and a half!). It finally is all coming together.
Also, you can see that I Photoshopped in a semblance of the elaborate (gold painted, of course) metal hanger that I am employing Bob to construct for me. I want it to suggest the gold plated toilet paper holders that reside at Trump Towers; you know, a Versailles meets Las Vegas vibe. I hope I'm succeeding hansomely!

No comments:

Post a Comment