Sunday, April 1, 2018

Combination Holiday

We celebrated a truly combined holiday yesterday. As not all family celebrants were able to attend on actual Easter, we celebrated a day earlier; which made for a combination Passover/Easter/April Fool's Day and Beatrice's Birthday. Such modern, multi-tasking holiday types are we.
There were many eggs presented, all lovely. Beatrice and John contributed the above selection of glamorous pastel saturated hues. Cathy made a basket of dyed eggs, too- some alluringly dark and mysterious; I believe she alluded to one as being a hundred year old egg. I ate that one at lunch.
As  this was the first Easter/Multiplex holiday that we were observing since Mommy passed away, I had thought to honor her memory with setting an elegant table with the good silverware and formal dishes. But when I opened the silver box, it smelled moldy, and even worse was the fact that the actual silver smelled and no amount of washing seemed to remove it. So we resorted to everyday forks, knives and spoons. The food tasted just fine.
And food! There was food aplenty! Scalloped potatoes and asparagus with confetti and pork cooked in the crock pot and Key Lime Pie and wine and beer. One of my favorite moments of the day came when we left the great outdoors, where we had been enjoying the sun and spring-like weather and everyone was hungry and the house was heavy with the scent of heavenly roasting pork and John exclaimed, "PORK!" I think he summed up what we all were anticipating.
I had decorated for the multiple holiday festivities and it did turn out to be a colorful event, what with all the eggs and the centerpiece, which featured a strange bird sculpture that had once been at Mommy's house. (Mommy was present in a few ways at Easter; I guess you can't help but miss someone who hosted holidays for so many years.)
My other favorite moment was when we were all still outside, prior to eating, and Beatrice was spontaneously playing soccer with Robin. I really encourage Beatrice and John to get a dog; well, not just any dog. They should put in for one of Robin's puppies which we are now planning for next year, as this year is already too hectic. (I'll need to arrange "maternity leave" from work to help handle the delivery and nursery duties!)
And speaking of Robin, she had quite a morning. I got up early and made coffee and was on the computer checking emails when I realized that Lil Robin was not laying under the computer table (and on my left foot) and it seemed awfully quiet. I went looking for her down stairs and found her contemplating two piles of her own vomit. (Fortunately, she's not like some dogs who eat their own puke...) She seemed just fine soon after but I think she overdid the cleaning of plates and consuming of odd bits at Easter dinner. Too much excitement!
More egg shots! These were the leftovers, three of which made a delicious egg salad sandwich for our lunch today. I especially liked that two tone pastel purplish and blue on in the center. I didn't want to crack that shell as it was so pretty!






No comments:

Post a Comment