Tuesday, August 18, 2015

In Which I Have (Probably) Broken My Toe

The picture says it all. OOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!
Yesterday was a ripely f%&ed up day, all along. Small- and large- things kept messing up, misfiring and generally wreaking mayhem with my life and the lives of others. Believe me: I wasn't alone in this!
But anyway, I was attempting to listen for thunder out of our office window when my foot- apparently little toe first- connecting in a convincing fashion with (get this!) the frame of one of my drawings! Yes, art can be dangerous!! I generally wander around the house shod in sneakers or boots as I have stepped on all kinds of nasty, pointy, sharp or gooey things and prefer proper foot protection. But it was so hot last night, and I had been casually reclining in bed reading, so it was with vulnerable bare feet that I went into the office.
I slept with my foot elevated and ice applied. Bob constructed a bolster between us so that he would not accidentally bang into my foot during the night. Boy that sucker hurts!
I called in sick to work today. I can't stand on my foot in any realistic manner and there is only one pair of crappy old running shoes that I can effectively house my toe in. My job entails me being upright for 96% of the day and that was out of the question. I am elevating and icing even as we speak...
The weirdest thing is that I was talking to my good friend Louise on Sunday. She was seriously in pain because she had messed up her toe by running it into the wooden leg of a large hassock that they have! Now we're sisters! And speaking of sister, come to think of it, my sister Cathy broke her toe last month! what is this? The Moon must be in the phase "Broken Toe"! Please be careful...
I remember doing almost exactly the same thing to my foot (the same one) in New Haven years ago. Yes, that time I went to the doctor. You know what he did? He taped my little toe to the toe next to it and called it "the buddy system" and said there really wasn't anything else they can do. So... "Buddy System" here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment