Monday, June 12, 2017

Behind the Green Door... Or is it Red?

After much hemming and hawing, it was decided by arbitrary subcommittee that the door of the barn would be green. It sounded just about right: not too bright and sort of nature inspired. But the reality was different. I was only a third of the way into painting before Bob and I agreed that the green just wasn't right. (Although it looks better in the picture here than it did in person!)
So we opted for... bright red!
Which looks just great! It's weird: the green paint made the chamaecyparis next to the door look all yellowish and kind of sickly. Maybe it was too close in tonality or something. On the other hand, the red made the chamaecyparis look dark and healthy. Also, strangely, the green read better from a distance than up close...
Maybe it was the 90+ degree heat, but I painted that blasted door twice in two days! And this is after 6 years of it being raw, totally unpainted fiber board- you know: that stuff that's like the head cheese of building materials. And this is after priming the door with a dark grey primer, which was better than that weird raw wood... Yup, the heat has definitely gotten to me. I'll probably paint the door again next week. This time it will be really dark green, that almost black. There's an idea...
Here I am staggering out to the barn. It really was/is hot. A nice lesson in not trying to do too much when it is this hot. I actually finished up planting a few things this morning- and worked quite efficiently in my studio- despite the weather. Now I'm waxing indecisive about the door. Here are two close ups; which one do YOU think looks better?
Or...





No comments:

Post a Comment