Sunday, September 10, 2017

Legs 'n' Leaves Etc.

I've been digging out my heavier tights and stockings because (bloody hell!) it's getting colder. I keep reflecting on how big this (crazy) country is, as there's lovely (albeit chilly) weather here and a huge hurricane ripping a tropical path of destruction there. Thank goodness that everyone I know that has some association with Florida is somewhere else, safe. I guess people like the idea of living in warm, sunny, beautiful sunset laden beach-y areas but Climate Change has mangled that equation.
For one reason or another- including becoming somewhat weary of the company of my fellow human beings, I haven't even felt like blogging recently. We were so busy with the garden tour, parties, work, cleaning up Mommy's house that I needed a break and to get into my studio and rest. (And I need to resolve my dilemma of the death of my digital camera. I really don't want to use a phone...)But I'm back! No more shirking my blog-a-tory responsibilites!
And speaking of tropicality, take a look at what we grew. Those leaves are truly gigantic. This is the first time I grew this particular variety of elephant ears and they are pretty amazing. Here's a shot to give a sense of scale:
I got these bulbs (marked down and really cheap) at Home Depot. They sat for weeks in this container and I was feared they had rotted and died. But as soon as the weather got really warm, a little green nose appeared and then they sprouted extravagantly. I will attempt to winter the bulbs over; some varieties have been easy (cannas, dahlias, a couple of elephant ears) some trickier (the elephant ears that require even moisture, striped cannas etc.).
See? We're enjoying the last of the summer! We were picking blueberries this morning- yes! we're still picking "Elliot" a remarkable variety- and our fingers were freezing. I told Bob I'd help him finish up after I take my walk and get warm. And peaches! We've had a bumper crop of delicious spicy sweet peaches. And beans, and tomatoes and peppers. It's been a great gardening year and I hate to see it go. But at least we're not awaiting a Category 4 or 5 storm... just snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment