Sunday, February 7, 2021

Life In COVID World: Part 1

 

That's the centerpiece on our dining table. Gotta look at something when dining! The turkey head is gone, the log upended and the few remaining squashes hold court. I provide the picture as relief from the whiteness that surrounds us; more snow on the way today.

I have been considering, as we are almost a year in on this quarantine/pandemic thing just how odd our lives have become. I guess there are people out there who are dining and going to gyms and churches or something. But many of us have chosen to abide by restrictions and stay put. And something aout this last week or so has finally gotten to some of us.

To whit, friends I've talked with on the phone have remarked on inabilities to focus or be creative; even I (hardworking Calvinist artist that I am) have felt less-than-productive. (*1) I think the drain of worrying about mutant varieties of COVID, not seeing family and friends, not attending openings and in-person art events... it's hard! I find myself a bit out of sorts and stuck. Combine that with the weather, which has suddenly decided to play Winter and dump repeated snow falls and colder temperatures. 

And I guess I have to mention here the grim fact of over 460,000 dead due to the pandemic. The cosmic/spiritual/psychic weight of so many people dying is hard to fathom. I know that I have felt precarious when thousands of people perish in tsunamis or earthquakes; a strange sensation of that many beings suddenly gone. 460,000 is a lot of people; that's a good sized city vaporized. No wonder I- and so many others!- are having a tough time sleeping and concentrating!

I will end on a sunnier note. The days are getting longer, people are getting vaccinated and maybe by the summer some semblance of a new "normal" will assert itself. I sure hope so because we're all feeling a tad antsy. 

(*1) Fear not! I have a million ideas and am currently finishing up three pieces and starting three more, but these are occurring at a slower pace than usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment