Saturday, July 31, 2021

Sundries

 

Let's start with a nice photo! Look at that butterfly (a swallow tail, I think?) He/she actually waited for me to run into the house and grab the camera... what were the chances? It looks so perfect, perched on the flower spire of our in-full-bloom Vitex Agnus-Castus. (A great shrub, by the way! Lovely blue-ish purple flower clusters, a bit like lilacs and nice clean green leaves that nothing touches. This year it looks particularly good.)

Here's another picture; I tried to get the butterfly to spread his/her wings wide but he/she was shy. This is the closest it came, but the sun was in a funny spot so it's sort of dark:

As is usual for this time of the year, despite the long days, we've been busy and I always feel I could have another couple of hours to do things. But I'm tired, too. Bob and I whaled away at my riding area again and boy does it look good.

I'm not sure how well this reads; this area was a mess of old stacked logs, roots, overgrown bittersweet and scrubby trees... a mess! Just what we did in the past several days expanded the width of my "arena" by a good eight to ten feet. That makes a whole lot of difference to Neko and me as we canter through.

This is the pile of stumps, sticks, twigs, bark and general debris that we hauled off. (We need to get the truck in here to cart it away.) It's been quite the project and the results are dramatic. I'm tired, although I confess that it was Bob who did the all he chainsawing and maddoxing and the majority of the digging out of serious roots. I chopped back smaller stuff and did most of the schlepping the leavings over to the brush pile. I also dug out some sizeable rocks. I'll be ready to train for the Olympics now in my improved Dressage Arena! (*1)

And did I mention that some of the vines and roots I removed were poison ivy? You knew this had to happen. I'm waiting for my arm to truly erupt later tonight!

 (*1) I trust we've all been watching horses "dance" in dressage? Impressive! Neko and I are lucky to stay upright, let alone perform a piaffe!



No comments:

Post a Comment