Thursday, April 19, 2012

The Sweet Smell of (Chemical) Spring

That's Jules and I off on our morning jaunt. Jules has collected quite an extensive array of sticks and logs. Walking back up the road is an adventure as some of these sticks are wide enough to obstruct traffic. People driving by seem entertained by Jules' heroic efforts in bringing home next year's fire wood. What's even funnier is Jules requesting that I assist him on the very large cumbersome branches. He'll pick up one end and look imploringly over at me and I'll pick up the other end and between the two of us, we move some sizeable wood. I wonder just why hauling timber is supposed to be fun. I only hope that our vehicular observers don't think I'm making him gather logs.
All of this was a long way to relating that we have quite an impressive assortment of wild flowers in bloom here. Trillium, anemones, trout lilies, marsh marigolds, and a few as yet unidentified individuals... sasparilla? (small white flowers that resemble fire works), tiny pink cups that look a bit like anemones but more delicate? So many wonderful flowers, especially in the wild areas on the far side of the brook. You couldn't improve on them or the way they sow themselves in free wheeling abandon. I'll try and photgraph some of these wildlings for a late blog.
But instead of the earthy aroma of newly turned dirt of spring, or the sweet smell of wild flowers, our neighborhood is frequently scented by the odd chemical cocktail of fabric softener. this depresses us. Better to smell nothing than chemistry!

No comments:

Post a Comment