Wednesday, August 21, 2013

The "Other" Life Forms: Molds, Mildews and the Like

This is sort of a "what is it?" I haven't done one of those in a while; in part because we threw away so many things left behind and maybe we're at the end of that era. Except that carpet rectangle above. Looks sort of like the underlying pavement, doesn't it? (Don't look at my awful old garden boots. Very comfortable, but pretty nasty!)
This carpet has some history. We discovered it here (and lord knows what it's story pre-BobnRita was), and until I made the bold decision to throw it away, it seemed inextricably linked to our lives. It "lived" at the base of our chimney for at least the last year; I say "lived" because as you can see, it's covered with it's own carpet of mold in attractive marbleized patterns. For some reason, neither Bob nor I saw fit to discard this disgusting artifact- until today. Unless someone else wishes to rehome it...
And then there is the powdery mildew explosion:
Looks a bit like poinsettia if you squint; the Christmas in August effect. The hot, dry weather has caused quite a bloom. I have a whole garden section of this stuff. It is getting to that time of the late summer when things start to implode and molds, mildews and fungus. Don't mention to me that some road side leaves are beginning to show signs of red and gold.
On a happier note, we have procured the wood for the pressure treated sill of my studio. I'll include an updated picture that features the installed sill, maybe tomorrow. I hate pressure treated wood but there really is a good argument for using it (wood resting on concrete). This the one place we will use it in the construction of my studio.
That was our pathetic little dessert last night. I felt sorry for it as it was reduced and it was the only one like it. Also, it was totally out of season (like fruit!) as I think those are Halloween colors. (Reminds me of the displaced Xmas mildew above). The careless teen-aged grocery bagger let him slide sideways, making his features adhere to the roof of the plastic protective package. By the time I got home, it was doubly pathetic. Tasted good, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment