Saturday, August 17, 2013

There's Blue and Then There's Blue...

Just what I needed! Another idea has sprung, unbidden! into my brain! A new project! A smaller scale project than say, the studio... but a new thing to spend time and energy on none the less.
I have been remaking/remodeling the Blue Garden, what with munificent birthday giftees that enabled a real structural approach (as opposed to helter-skelter compositional style until recently applied). Incidentally, I have been a terrible gardener, indulging my lack of time in all manner of unorthodox plant tortures like digging grasses out and forcing them to live in damp wheelbarrows for days on end. Oh well; today, in between doing a million other things, I'll at least replant my blue friends.
But the new project is the above haphazard pathway that describes the left edge of the Blue Garden (or is that the "Booze Garden"? Between having rows upon rows of blue wine bottles and blue beer bottles and corks topping the bamboo stakes (so as not to poke out one's remaining eye), it's quite the celebration of other people's drinking patters. We really don't drink white wine (much) and infrequently indulge in cheap, domestic brands of beer). But we gladly accept other people's empties!
Anyway, we have been working a lot with cement and concrete. (Remember that ongoing project?) Bob and I have been rinsing the cement off the tools and containers on this path. My thinking was that it gave it a thin coat of cement and made a casual "sidewalk". But then I realized that we could do a mosaic of sorts, using cement as a grout/binder/base and embed broken BLUE glass and dish fragments. Brilliant!
It's begun already. The other day at work, I mentioned my new scheme and was promptly handed a box with some lovely, but badly damaged dishes. Gilt edges, no less. So any and all of my clumsy friends are invited to forward their broken blue dishes (or empties) to The BauHaus Chicken Coop. (And Wasil? Don't worry about sharp edges, okay?)

No comments:

Post a Comment