Saturday, May 28, 2016

The Hell of Windows 10

Here's a truly awful blog posting for you to mull over! No pictures, no access to any of our personal files and we seem to have been transported to a specific ring of Hell reserved for those who attempt to install and run Windows 10!
We downloaded Windows 10 a while ago, and while we weren't thrilled (some programs seem to not work, we could only upload one picture at a time from the camera etc etc) we were able to function somewhat normally. But yesterday morning, a very strange thing happened: we turned on the computer and it took a million years to come on and when it did, our desktop was all re-arranged and half of our icons were gone. When I tried to access files- like for documents or photos, they weren't there. All of our book marks and passwords and saved information was gone, too, when we tried to sign onto the Internet, as if our identities and profiles had all been lost.
So last night, after I got home form work, I sat on the phone for a couple of hours while a Microsoft technician rearranged our lives. (That's what it felt like. Remember the movie, "Being John Malkovich"? Where a portal allowed people to walk around inside his head? Very odd!) This technician was moving our cursor and opening things remotely... and she found all of our stuff! But she couldn't/didn't explain WHERE it all had gone. But she re-made desk top icons and re-populated our programs and seemed to do a great job. It took several hours overnight, when we were instructed to simply leave the computer to do its internal work. I woke up at 2:00 am and checked on the computer and it worked fine. I was excited. But you know as well as I do that that was not to be...
This morning, I turned the computer on and it had reverted to the weird world of Microsoft dominion. I was told (in a message that appeared and disappeared so quickly that I couldn't read all of it) that we were "granted a temporary ID" and I still cannot access any files! What a nightmare!
My sister Beatrice will recognize this; she told me a similar story the other day. Somehow, her computer downloaded this disaster while they were off dancing and stuff had just vanished. For some unknown reason, ours didn't vanish all at once. There's good news for my sister: if the download happened less than 30 days ago, they'll allow you to reload Windows 8. Our lives are made trickier by the fact that some part of the Windows 10 monster downloaded a month and a half ago, and the rest only yesterday. Which puts us in Windows 8 limbo...
Do I really want to spend another half a day on the phone with a Microsoft technician??!?!!?!?!? As I told her, all I want is my computer to be my computer. It's a tool. I don't need- or care!- how it all operates. I just need it to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment