Thursday, May 5, 2016

Welcome to New Members!

 
A hearty welcome to new members of the plant kingdom who will now reside in our garden! Yes, it's the time of year that has me drooling and slobbering over all the pretty leafy, scaly, flowering and otherwise exciting plant offerings to be had at nurseries, garden centers and giant box stores. As Bob carefully punned yesterday, "Whore-to-culture". That's me! Just call me a plant slut!
So above, we have a Salix Helvetica (sounds like a typeface to me). That's a lousy picture because you can't see how truly silvery and delightful the foliage is (but it's been rainy and overcast for days so I'm surprise anything is showing up.) It's a "demure selection" (their words, not mine) topping out ultimately at about three feet high and wide.
Next on our list is a shrub that I could not for the life of me figure whether it was lovely and interesting or just an awful color:
Well, I bought one so I guess I came down on the side of interesting and it will provide a jolt of color to a kind of monotonous area. (But it is a bit garish). It's Thuja plicata "Forever Goldy" and was a real deal at Home Depot.
Probably somehow related is the next beast to follow me home:
Yes, I do love a good Dr. Suess tree! This is a Cupressocyparus leylandii "David's Blue" (which I'm pretty sure is synonymous with "Naylor's Blue"). Look at the contrapposto on that baby! Going one way and another a swaying to it's own internal rhythm! He's going to live next door to the Blue Garden, acting as an important punctuation mark across the mosaic walkway from the Blue Atlas Cedar. The Blue Garden is getting quite blue! But it needs weeding...
And to top off our tour, here's my favorite garden twizzle:
Robin the Good's tail! Developing a modest fringe and the end of her tail still sports that dynamic and endearing twizzle. Fits right in with the rest of the garden denizens, all adorned with volutes, curlicues and arabesques!


No comments:

Post a Comment