Wednesday, January 18, 2023

A Remembered New Year's Resolution


 Aha! I recall my New Year's Resolution, mostly in time for the so-called Chinese New Year (*1). So it's to absolutely ban all GMO foods from our house! We have done a generally good job in avoiding this biologically engineered plague from entering our mouths, but I have slipped up a few times. Yes, thanks to Vermont, they are required to label GMO or suggest that there may be a bio-engineered ingredient (typically corn or soy products) but I had been under the mistaken idea that Vermont BANNED all GMO products. Nope- they just have to be labelled.

Which is no doubt why suddenly everything seems happy to proclaim they're GMO free:

I love seeing that little insignia. Surprising things claim to be non  GMO... like Domino's sugar. Hard to believe but I'll go with it.

Sneaky companies print the inclusion of bio-engineered foods in tiny hard to read lettering; this is why it's easy to slip up occasionally. I am such a crank at the supermarket. I read everything. We've been avoiding high-fructose corn syrup and their treacly friends for years. But it seems suddenly, the GMO crowd is pretty rampant. I know there are many who insist that there's "no difference" or that some genetically modified foods are better (in that they may keep fresh for longer or they may be more packed with vitamins etc) but I want to avoid Frankenfood that is Monsanto inspired and full of harmful forever chemicals. Look at Round-Up ready crops! Corn! Yuck! People are winning law suits and getting seriously sick and yet these dandy bio-hazards are winding up under you slice of cheese or in your breakfast bowl.

So I say: eat what you want! If downing a chemical-laden breaded coating or drinking milk that comes from cows treated with BST makes you happy... go for it! But our household is not buying! Happy Lunar New Year!

(*1) I believe it occurs this Sunday and it's the year of the Rabbit. Supposedly a kinder, gentler year as befits a bunny. Last year was the year of the Tiger and obviously it was a ferocious tiger!

No comments:

Post a Comment