Monday, January 9, 2023

It's (Almost) Show Time!

 


I have to admit, it's a great way to begin the New Year... with a really terrific 2 person show (with my friend and fellow fabulous artist Lydia Viscardi). It's opening... sometime in the next two weeks. We were busy installing yesterday... and I discovered I had forgotten (oops!) two of my pieces at home. (*1) No big deal as we're making another trip back to Westport to install two of Bob's sculptures, too. Plus it gives me another opportunity to tweak my parts of the show...

So above, you'll see one of the pieces I was finishing up for inclusion. And like the ridiculous joke sign that used to be available in gag shops (*2) the "P" is missing. So I was so close to completing this piece and I was thinking "great!" because I didn't have a whole lot of time... when I noticed the "P" was oh so slightly crooked. It really bugged me, like there was no way I could leave it like that.

So I painstakingly pulled alllll those minute stitches out and resewed it back on. Fun! (Not! But an artist's gotta do what an artist's gotta do. Chances are, no one else would have noticed.) But would you look at the lovingly faux-alligator texture; I adore pleather and fabric like this. A true bitch to sew- thick and nubbly- but looks so good!

Here it is, in all it's glory with the "P" restored and the crocodile tear fringe and the snake-head metal hanger realized for me by Bob. A triumph of artistic genius.

In case you're wondering (or even if you're not as you're a captive audience reading this!) The phrase comes from a discussion that I had with a good friend and fellow artist. We were talking about how petty some artists can be and instead of congratulating other artists on getting shows, or good reviews or grants, they get snarky and seek to belittle other artists accomplishments. I said, "It's like they're diving into the envy pool" and he responded, "That sounds like one of your pieces". Challenge accepted!


(*1) I neglected to bring them because I wrapped them up in a white garbage bag, not a black one. All the others were black and so stood out against the white table. They were waiting for me when I got home. 

(*2) Granted, this is a bit obscure. There were these novelty signs that read: "Welcome to our "OOL". You'll notice there is no "P" in it... and we'd like to keep it that way." We can all groan now...

No comments:

Post a Comment