Friday, April 22, 2011

Wildlife A-Go-Go

Bob and I were having coffee at around 3:00 after attempting to erect fence posts around the vegetable garden. (I say "attempting" because what with the wind and being two partially geometrically challenged artists, squaring the garden proved nearly impossible. Don't ask!) Anyway, we were taking a break when Bob says, Wow, that's the biggest cat I've ever seen" and I look out the kitchen window and see a bobcat casually sauntering directly across our yard. Yikes! I think I was expecting a neighbor's tabby...
I ran upstairs to grab the camera but of course, when I return, the bobcat has disappeared into the swamp. I swear it was wagging its (very stubby) tail.
I've been curious to see exactly what kind of wildlife we have here as many animals are moving back into Connecticut. When I was growing up, we only saw a deer occasionally and a fox rarely. Nowadays deer are absurdly common as are turkeys, coyotes, and bear (even panther sightings are rumored). I have sincerely mixed feelings about all these visitors... I think we have to acknowledge an uneasy co-existence.

No comments:

Post a Comment