Thursday, January 31, 2013

Apres L'Deluge

So after some pretty wicky- whacky weather, Bob and I made a tour over the bridge to the far side of the stream. Our stream was a torrent: swirling, cresting and threatening to become a river. It had been a wild night of downpour and wind and general wooliness. But at least all trace of that nasty snow is gone!
This poor mouse seems to have not made it home and out of harm's way and had obviously drowned. We found this tiny corpse while inspecting one of the little pine seedlings. I guess I shouldn't feel badly, after all, had the mouse found his way into our house, we probably would have set a trap.
On an entirely opposite note, our horse Maggie decided that the absence of snow and ice was a marvelous good thing and took the opportunity to kick up her heels and really show off. She raced the wind from one end of her pasture to the other sliding to a stop like a reining champion and then spinning on a hind hoof and careening off to the other side. Crow hopping, bucking, galloping... at least she feels good! Bob and I were alternately entertained and terrified that she would trip head over tail and break a leg or two (horses being know for truly stupid accidents).
Later, Mistress Maggie rolled and enrobed herself in a thick plaster of mud. She looked very pleased with her performance as I tried to brush her back to a semblance of civilization. I was contemplating riding her today, but that high wind dissuaded me and I'm glad I stayed on terra firma.

No comments:

Post a Comment