Thursday, July 31, 2014

Happy Birthday to ME!!

It all began with my generous sister Beatrice and her partner John giving me this lovely spiky specimen of Yucca filamentosa... just what I'd planned when I organized this new bed last year. And they gave me this plant a good two weeks earlier than my birthday so we'd have it in place for the garden tour! That was extra thoughtful. (The small coleus to the right look really great with that yucca.)
Not to be outdone, however, Bob took me on a wonderful plant buying spree for my actual birthday. He did this for me last year and it was such a hit that he offered a repeat excursion this July 20th.
Here's what I selected:
Cryptomeria japonica "Black Dragon" as an evergreen choice. And, of course, I have just the spot for it. I've been complaining that come winter, it doesn't look like we have any garden as most of our plants were deciduous. I'm working on changing that! A detail, please:

Look at that cool bark! It really is reddish orange and very prickly. Nice!
And how about a Vitex agnus-castus "Abbeville Blue"? Isn't that a mouthful
This one gave me a problem when I tried to photograph it; it washed out and the flowers looked dull. In reality, the flowers are a lovely blu-ish violet and very stiff. Handsome! I saw this shrub last year and thought about it for twelve months... that's how obsessive I am!
And look at this! On the "reduced" cart! I had actually liked this last year, too, so getting it for less than half price is a treat. This is Abies pinsapo "Glauca" or Spanish Fir. He's got these splendid little checkered looking needles. Cool!
And not to be outdone, my sister Cathy gave me tow Carexes.
Such crazy texture. They look like Zsa Zsa Gabor wigs. Very different! And appreciated.
And then, as a sort of over the top gesture, Beatrice and John brought MORE plants. Remember those Home Depot rhododendrons that had me fretting about how I could make a forest? Well, look at this:
They got me five, and I had five so now I have... TEN! That's fabulous! I am so happy. I think that Beatrice thinks I'm nuts because she thought there was some mistake and we got our signals crossed. Make no mistake: I am well on my way to making that rhododendron forest!
And we also enjoyed a lovely Spanish wine and all kinds of food stuff. It was a wonderful birthday! Thank you to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment