Sunday, April 3, 2016

April Fool's (A Day Early)


At least I had one smart moment the other day and I "fixed" the computer. Last Saturday, when we tried to turn on the computer and it seemed frozen: the tower light was on, the monitor said "Dell" but nothing worked. After numerous attempts at rejiggering and replugging every possible cord and cable, it was off to Staples for a fix. We were informed that (despite having a McAfee anti-virus installed) we harbored many spyware, malware and viruses. We left the computer to be debugged.
Two days later, we picked the computer up having paid $160 to have 161 (apparent) viruses removed- about a dollar a virus! But imagine our consternation when on arriving home, we set it up and the same thing happened, ie; nothing.
Bob and I again replugged and even tried other outlets, new surge strips etc to no avail. I took it back to Staples, oozing indignation. But not only did it boot up and operate just fine (making me feel super stupid) but they tried to charge us more than initially quoted for the new anti-virus install. After fixing the evil eye on the young man waiting on me (with a line starting to grow with other computer customers piling up behind me) I was granted discounted service. I left the computer for installation.
Okay, so you see this coming. I return to Staples, get the computer home, we hook it up and... nothing. Bob and I are drawing straws to see who will be the sacrificial lamb and call Staples and confess to our complete idiocy as we both agree it HAS to be a very simple problem. At that point I believe Bob abandoned ship and I was left to fool with connections on my own. I decided on a very un-Rita solution. I began to methodically push each and every key on the keyboard, thinking just maybe a magic button would re-engage our machinery.
And it worked! I tapped the key that has a sort of windows image and the computer sprang into action. The key had been stuck all along!
I happened to be back at Staples a day later, getting a collage laminated for the cover of one of my artist's books. On my way out the door, I spied the corpulent young man who had assisted in the diagnosis and repair of our computer. "Hey", I said, "We got home and the computer still didn't work- until I discovered a stuck key!" "Yeah", he answered, "I noticed that when we worked on your computer." Ooooooooooooooooooohhh! That made me mad! Couldn't he have mentioned that? Bob and I almost lost our minds and it was all so simple... Now we're left to wonder whether the computer really did have viruses!

No comments:

Post a Comment