Thursday, April 28, 2016

Playing Hooky

The weather was so nice and there were several projects involving gardening and I confess: I played hooky from studio work and spent the better part of the afternoon outside. I said to Bob before he departed for a railing installation job, "I feel guilty, but I really want to be out of doors." I realize- and Bob reaffirmed- that there was no reason to feel badly. Sometimes, you just need to listen to those internal voices that beckon you out into nature...
Blooming plants, like the Sand Cherry above (Prunus pumila) are a good a reason as any to want to be outside! The long border that the Sand Cherry resides in needs a partial make over and today was a good day to start. I lifted and removed a whole slew of periwinkle that was running amuck through my phlox and Siberian iris (and everything else). I replanted that along the side of the Blue Garden. In itself, it was a major undertaking because those spreading ground cover things tend to multiply like crazy and when you lift a seemingly small area, there are seven million plants to be re-planted. But it was worth the effort because the border looks better, the periwinkle (Vinca major) is useful at the perimeter of the Blue Garden and I had a space to plant the Arborvitae "Forever Goldy" (Thuja plicata) we got on sale at Home Depot looks great there... gotta love Home Depot. They may not always water their plants, but they're affordable and they actually have some interesting specimens!
And an additional benefit was that Robin the Good ran around like a possessed demon and got all tired out and didn't even protest when I sent her back into the house to rest when I went "outside the fence" to plant that Vinca. Robin was very helpful and made sure to eat my sunglasses (granted: the crummy, scratched lenses around the house pair...) and run straight through my newly watered, freshly dug area and generally cause havoc.
And later in the afternoon, post reviving shower and clothing change, I did manage to get into my studio and get a start on assembling a copy of my latest artist's book. A good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment