Monday, June 4, 2018

For Artists Only


This is purposely a misleading title to this posting. Art- and art openings are NOT for artists only, but I think John and Jane Q. Public think that galleries are some sort of private club. I am repeatedly asked things like, "Does it cost money to go to a gallery?" "Do I need a ticket?" "Can anyone go?"
See that nice photo above, full of nice people looking at all that nice art?
They're all artists!
Nothing wrong with artists. Some of my best friends etc, etc... Conservatively speaking, 95% of my friends are artists and they're the greatest, swellest people around (funny, witty, smart, talented) but they cannot- and should not- be expected to buy art. And while I love my friends and the millions of new artist friends I meet, I want other, non-artist people to go to openings and experience my work.
This is one reason to show- to gain a wider audience for your work, with this widening audience (hopefully) leading to these individuals becoming buyers and collectors of the work.
My friends can visit my studio and see what I'm up to. I realize seeing the work in a gallery is different. I appreciate that they like coming to openings and getting a bit of wine and cheese and celebrating my work in a clean well lighted space; it does make the work seem complete. But I cannot- and do not- expect them to buy my work. So everyone leaves at the end of the evening and the work looks great but nothing changes. You get another line on your resume...
It's a constant paradox: how do you attract people to the gallery and separate them form their money? I suppose that's cynical way to put it but art needs to be collected. Galleries go belly up because the gallerist/director hasn't figured out the answer to this age old dilemma. Artists fight for the few positions in the stable of blue-chip galleries because there is a greater likelihood of success in selling work (which, of course, leads to being able to make more work...) Mid-level and entry level galleries stay open for maybe two, three years and close because of a lack of sales. It cease to be fun when operating a gallery means sitting in a lonely space, surrounded by work that no one wants to invest in and you still have bills to pay.
Several art dealers have stated to me recently that the artist should be bringing the buyers in to the gallery. I ask, then what's the gallery's part? If I had a slew of collectors that were eager to buy my work, chances are I wouldn't need a gallery.
I sure don't have the answer. I can make the work and attempt to round up the people who have enjoyed and purchased my work previously, and invite them to this show, and the next show and on and on. But it's a long slog! Even gallerists throw up their hands and exclaim over how hard it is. But we continue to schlepp our work to gallery after gallery and show after show... what's an artist to do?!?!!!??!?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment