Monday, July 22, 2019

Happy Birthday to Me

Here's a picture of my delicious birthday pie! Blueberry... my favorite (well maybe tied with peach!) and made with fresh blueberries plucked from our own berry bushes early yesterday morning. Maybe it turned out a bit on the tart side (Bob maintaining that it needed a pinch more sugar) but I thoroughly enjoyed it.
And I received lovely gifts from Bob and a million and ten birthday greetings on Facebook (everybody's favorite!)  and a number of thoughtful actual physical birthday cards- I'm very happy. Except that the weather sucked and we spent the day huddled in the air conditioned bed room, emerging only for refills of cold drinks and the occasional ill-advised trip outside to experience what life on Mars or Venus is like.
My birthday is typically hot 'n' humid but this heatwave is exceptional. We actually cancelled my family's celebration at our house because it was either sit in the driveway in Beatrice and John's new car with the air conditioning blasting (worrying about getting frosting on the immaculate interior) or hunkering together in the bed room (the only air conditioned room in the house) which would be awkward. Outside really was not a possibility and we had originally considered grilling: unimaginable!
So at last the hideous weather has broken and it's expected to rain late today into tomorrow. That's a good thing as plants and grasses were stressing in the garden and we were stressing in the house. I felt badly for poor Maggie the Mexican Pony (yes, she's still with us) who stood stamping flies in her stall. She was downright giddy the cool of this morning, breaking into a wonky trot when I fed her her breakfast grain.
Let's trust teh improved weather will last!

No comments:

Post a Comment