Monday, May 10, 2021

That Time of Year!

 

In case you've been wondering where I've been (besides recovering from our unfortunate highway incident!) take a look at the following pictures; they explain a lot! And ol' Trusty the Accord may not be the biggest car in the world, but boy can I pack the plants into him! (*1)

That's just yesterday's haul above. Our good friend Bob the plant guru called and asked if I'd like to go shopping with him. YES! was my resounding answer. Off we went... visiting a total of six nurseries and garden centers, spread out over quite a state-wide are. This was doubly an interesting day because it was the first time since last fall that I'd even seen one of our friends in person, due to COVID. Now that we're all vaccinated, in-person visitation is possible... without masks! Up close! Yay!!! (*2)

Bob and I are such plant geeks that we play "stump the stars" and often confuse even the employees at nurseries with inquires about what that one unlabelled plant is. Yesterday was no exception. The owner of the first nursery we stopped at noticed us perusing his "unusual" plant corner. "I'll give you this plant for free", he crowed, "...if you can identify it!" Of course we did, as it proved to be a Mukdenia (a member of the saxifrage family). I got the freebie as Bob already had a Mukdenia in his collection.

Bob's car was so stuffed full of greenery by the fourth stop that we went by my car, parked in a commuter lot and off-loaded the first haul. Then on to more nurseries!!

Look at this giant agave! It's big and blue and spiky! Love those exotics!

And a charming assortment of individuals for our containers! there's Bacopa and Angelonia and Calibrachoa and Spilanthes! I get goose bumps thinking of all my new friends! Interestingly, there seems to be a pink component to my selections this year; my palette does shift a bit seasonally.

I also have these plants from my first solo trip out last week- a couple of great Coleus and even a tri-colored Plectranthus! 

And how could I forget to mention the seeds I started myself?

                                    

Yes, Nasturtiums and Zinnia... See? I have been busy and this isn't even counting the plants tat Bob gave to me or that my friend Elanah sent! So many plants, so little time!

(*1) And yes, Beatrice and John. I carefully cover Trusty's seats in plastic before attempting to stuff him full of horticultural delights.

(*2) But it was weird, too! I haven't been in any other person's car in so long... except for that ride in the police car!

No comments:

Post a Comment