Monday, September 6, 2021

Bedlam!

 

Here's a rare, intimate view of our bedroom. Looks perfectly nice and cozy, bed made... who would ever expect that this is the scene of of much bedding consternation.

Well, one issue was settled recently with the purchase and addition of a bed topper (100% organic latex with 100% cotton cover!) Bob had complained of aching hip and sore shoulder from sleeping on our rock-hard mattress. Solved! He's sleeping better these days. (*1)

But our latest dilemma is having aging sheets, all of our lower fitted sheets are disintegrating. Here's a shot of the pile of orphan sheets:

This is only part of the problem. There are a few more "singletons" in the laundry basket. I liked all of these when they were sets: a bottom fitted sheet, a flat top sheet and two lovely MATCHING pillow cases. Now, I struggle to make a sorta/kinda set out of one swirly blue pillow case with the top sheet of the striped set (missing a bottom and one pillow case) and then what? The blue bottom, fitted sheet (again) that now has a big rip where my feet go? (*2)

So my question is this: do I attempt to buy several bottom, fitted sheets to supplement my top sheet "collection"? Or do I spring for entire new sets of sheets? Several considerations avail themselves. One is that to purchase fitted sheets costs almost as much as getting a new complete set of sheets. The second is that I'll have to order on line as finding a fitted sheet by itself is impossible in local stores. And don't get me even going on how hard it is to find 100% cotton sheets in attractive colors or patterns! There sure are some plug-ugly bed sets out there! And they try to sneak polyester into the sets by calling them "comfort cotton" or "ez care"... all code words for sleazy sleep sets! 

I did break down and buy a couple of pillow cases last week. They're a kind of watery pale blue; not offensive but none too exciting, either. But this leaves me perplexed: why can I buy a package of two pillow cases, but not get a simple fitted sheet by itself? Who makes these executive decisions?!?! (*3)

But we do have a lovely throw pillow with a picture of a Robin on it! (Thanks to Bob's mother). Funny, it's the one spot in the house Robin isn't allowed (on the bed) so we have an avatar.

(*1) The jury is out on my side of the mattress. My lower back has been cranky and I don't know if it's coincidence or whether the mattress topper is too soft for me!

(*2) Bob said that when he was growing up, all the family sheets were flat; there was no such thing as a fitted sheet. I agree: fitted sheets came along many years after our childhoods. However, I have observed that "they" now manufacture flat sheets smaller so that you can't use them as bottom sheets. They never tuck in all around. A hideous plot!

(*3) I know, in light of all the truly awful problems in the world at present (COVID, Climate Change, Texas, the Taliban, Fox News etc etc) my having issues in the bedding department are not major issues. But I'm having enough trouble sleeping with out tossing and turning on ripped, mis
matched sheets!

1 comment: