Wednesday, November 23, 2022

Happy Thanksgiving!

 

I wonder if anyone else's mother made a pineapple into a turkey every year?!!? Mommy did, and I inherited the felt turkey head that she constructed. I will never know if she "invented" this pattern or if it was in some woman's magazine of her day. All I know is that it was a feature on the dining table every year. (*1) I was so traditional this year: I located the turkey head, made a note to secure an actual pineapple and I even rested it on a bed of Easter grass. As I mentioned to Bob, there are few displays that aren't improved by neon Easter grass.

 Here's our real turkey:


 Of course it is/was frozen and they take days to thaw so we're already working on that. This picture is expressly provided to alert certain family members (they know who they are!) that we are proceeding forward with Thanksgiving celebrations whether they attend or not. The weather looks good- sunny and in the 50's!(*2)- so we are accepting no excuses. Be there (or here) or be square.

We also have cranberries and pumpkin and potatoes and all sorts of food in the works. And we have weird food surprises like the classic butter truck seen here, fabricated by Bob.

Yes, holidays are fun here at the BobnRita Ranch.


(*1) Last year, I forgot to get a pineapple so I jammed the head on a lump of wood. Or maybe it was an odd squash. I don't remember. The year before that, I couldn't find the felt turkey head and Thnaksgiving just didn't feel like Thanksgiving.

(*2) But our family being our family, we are NOT celebrating Thanksgiving on the actual Thanksgiving Day. We are entertaining family on Saturday (as my sister Cathy works on Thanksgiving). We often push holidays around. Whatever. On the actual Thanksgiving, Bob and I are having a non-traditional meal and entertaining a friend.

1 comment: