Tuesday, June 18, 2024

The Daisy Murders

 

Looks pretty innocent, right? Hiding behind that "fresh as a daisy" trope... but let me tell you, the daisies were threatening to take over the horse field.


This is a small corner of what's left. The entire field was wall-to-wall, coast-to-coast daisies. We're talking a sea of the things. Yes, they are pretty but not only will Neko not eat them, but they crowd out useful stuff like grass. So I embarked on a daisy eridacation program. Pretty brutal!

Culling several dozen and putting them in vases was effective on a small scale, adding simple lovliness to our house but more drastic measures were required. I donned a pair of gloves, got my sharp, pointed shovel and spent a couple of hours laboriously digging hundreds of clumps out. I succeeded in clearing (maybe) the top third of the field but my hands were really tired and it was going to take weeks to eliminate the rest of these suckers.

Yesterday, I brought out the heavy weapons, fired up the mower and proceeded to chomp them all down. This took me two hours but it wasn't as hot as the rest of this week is going to be and I didn't want this invasion of floral hegemony to set seed and utterly defeat me.

And... Look!! A sea of green! (For scale, that small brown thing to the left of the tree is Neko. Puts into prospective just how much mowing I did. Yes, thank you, my legs were tired afterwards!) But I was satisfied with my handiwork and it was kind of fun as the clumps of daisies gave up easily- no match for raging machinery. You can't see it in the above picture, but there is still a small ring of daisies down by the fence line. I'm not done pushing up those daisies!!





No comments:

Post a Comment