Thursday, November 14, 2013

Historic

This is my cell phone, or more appropriately, I should refer to it as my "cellular device" as it is truly historic. I affectionately address it as my "dumb phone" when someone asks if I am interested in "apps" for my "smart phone". It may not do any of the sexy things that newer phones do, but maybe I don't want it to. I really have no interest in being constantly within reach of nonsensical calls- especially while seeking solitude or peace (like when I'm in my studio, or on my morning walk. Although I do leave my cell phone on when on my walk so that if the occasional marauding bear or pervert approaches me, I can dial 911.)
Last week at a pre-holiday cocktail party (thank you, Ted Hine), I got talking with several people about communications. I pulled out my phone- a real conversation stopper! It got ooohhed and aahhhed over as if it were a wonderfully arcane device. I demonstrated that it actually works: I can turn it on and place calls. I suppose I could even text if I could remember what my sister showed me, but it's tedious and for "c"'s and "f"'s you have to push that button three times. Why bother? The audience was also touched by it's tiny antenna- apparently also a thing of the past. And there is that pathetic bit of tape holding the panel on...
I will admit that I bought (also from my sister) a slightly newer model cell phone; it has a flip case. But have I had the time or the energy to contact the phone company to transfer my old phone account to my new phone? (I find calling utility companies exhausting and infuriating-making.) I also have the best sweetheart deal with Virgin Mobile and only pay $5 a month. I don't want that to increase!
I am sometimes mildly envious of friends that have miraculous ipads and tablets and are taking pictures and locating where they are and receiving tweets from Justin Bieber all while attempting to find and show me some ridiculous photo of their child vomiting grape juice. Technology is great, especially when employed in the service of utter silliness. I keep reminding people that in other countries, people are recording history and organizing revolutions and saving lives with smart phones. Here we photograph the next pair of shoes we hope to score.
My cell phone; I think I'll keep it.

No comments:

Post a Comment