Sunday, February 9, 2014

Blue America

Here's what I'm working on- a series of collage/drawing hybrids called "Blue America". I've never done maps before and how they came about is instructive. I was asked to participate in the Artspace annual auction fundraiser and this year they have a theme, the color blue. Typically, I detest themed suggestions because it compels you to not just donate, but do a specific work that is not anything you'd ordinarily do. This means if it doesn't sell, you're stuck with some weird usually sub-par piece. (I have several choice left overs in my flat file. Should I just throw these orphans out?)
But for some reason, after a bit of grumbling, I got interested and have spent the past several days making maps of America. Keeps me out of trouble and stops me complaining about the weather...
I'm having fun! I will ultimately donate one (I have four underway) but I won't feel bad about these pieces being in my portfolio. I am enjoying the toying with ideas about "blue" and "red" America; you will notice that Texas is red in the above map. that was not entirely by design and I was going to collage it all over blue. But then I realized that it was accurate. (I have been trying to cut out the whole of America from one page of a magazine.) It's funny because many artists are inspired by maps, and I have been too, but I've never made art based on them.
I cut out a free hand drawing off the outline of America. I just eyeballed it, not traced it which is why the two above America profiles are different. (I did look at a map while drawing it.)
Health update: My bump is shrinking nicely, but I'm already sick of taking antibiotics! Only three days in...

No comments:

Post a Comment