Thursday, May 30, 2013

A New Member of the Family!

Don't tell my mother, but we seem to have a new resident here at the Bauhaus Chicken Coop. That's right, it's a handsome (traditonally) striped garter snake.  He/she chose to take up housekeeping in the pile of stones destined to become our terrace, right next to my Blue Garden. I had this funny feeling that there just might be snakes (thankfully the garter kind!) in this area.
Yesterday as I finished up planting and weeding, I happened to glance at the rocks and there it was. Being shy, as we haven't been formally introduced, he/she ducked back under a rock when I first suggested a photo shoot. But later on, Snake had reappeared and I caught the above candid picture.
Today, Snake is back; much more relaxed as I strove to plant and water in the rather oppressive heat.
Snake is positively sprawled along the top of the rocks. I think Snake likes the blue garden and seems pleased I took the time to weed and edge it. The Blue Garden was getting a bit out of control. I also pointed out to Bob that Snake might be in love...
because this bit of yellow rope was laying on the rocks, too. The yellow looks pretty similar to the yellow stripes on Snake's side. Perhaps a case of mistaken identity?
It must be Reptile Season as I spied a Box turtle careening across our lawn three days ago (gone when I fetched the camera). On my morning walk with Jules, we encountered a large garter snake who had been unfortunately run over while crossing the dirt road. Plain bad luck! Probably three cars a day drive on the dirt road- if that!- and the snake gets nailed. At least our snake is far away from the road and harm.

No comments:

Post a Comment