Tuesday, May 28, 2013

As Promised...

I know all of my followers were waiting with the cliched "baited breath" to see what I've been up to in my studio. Somehow, I had lost the pictures of my recent work when I went to upload yesterday... But here they are!
Well, I couldn't photograph the whole word in one shot because it's too long. That's the first third of Sequestration. First question is: who thinks these things up? Who ever heard of sequestration before Congress began yattering about automatic, across the board spending cuts? Who will remember this five years from now? I guess my job is to immortalize this and other gnarly words... And look at that fabric! Camouflage done in pink, lime green and brown? WTF? Where are we hiding in that? And it's corduroy. How many metaphors can you mix in one piece of yard goods?
And the pink letters are sewn in pink vinyl, and attractively arranged on pinkish red toile (images of shepards and shepardesses cavorting in charming landscapes- I'm referencing Marie Antoinette and the 1% here.
(Above, letters of my name scrambled further down the work) There are lovely sequins and beads sewn onto give a bit of bling and a pink dong like thing that dangles from the center that you can squeeze. (Th complete name of the piece is "Sequestration: Make You Squeal Like a Pig", of course). Anyway, that one's almost done.
I recently re-worked "The Fiscal Cliff" because I was not happy at all with how puckered the central panel became when I attached the edges. So I pulled it all apart and it's much better now, thank you. I am so pleased to be exploring the financial crisis and all its cheesy aspects. Loads of raw material here. Too Big to fail, indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment