Thursday, October 24, 2013

And Now For Something Completely Different (and a "What Is It?")

Here's something completely different! I am inviting you to accompany me and Jules on our morning walk. (In case you think we really haven't been doing anything except work on my studio...) This is the beginning of the dirt road where Jules and I go every day. These pictures are from a week of so ago, which explains why there are more leaves on the trees.
 The same stream that runs through the bottom of our property follows the dirt road. It's very pretty in a typical New England rugged rocky, forested way. It looks similar to where I grew up in the central part of the state and I suppose the familiarity of it is a solace.
The road is gradual; a bit of hilliness but nothing too steep or taxing. I let Jules set the pace. Some days, he briskly trots along, only stopping to sniff or pee infrequently. Other days? He stops and carefully analyzes every fern and tree branch for evidence of other visitors. We've seen coyotes, bobcats, blue herons, deer and droves of wild turkeys. So far, no moose or bears (I am eternally thankful for that!)
But here's the "What is it?" About half way out on our walk last week, Jules was investigating something deposited by another animal and I'm sort of wool gathering when my eyes rest on a tree right in front of me.
Hello! What's THAT? And strapped to a tree no less! This is why I brought the camera along, so that I could document that camouflage woodland anomaly. I googled it when I returned home. Weird. But I did figure out what is is; see if you can guess.
So we continue on, and we finally emerge to where there are a few houses, before the road turns dirt and empty again. While this isn't a great picture, it's such a pretty spot. There's a really old red mill (turned into a house) and several rough bridges and a dam with the above mill pond. The mist rises off of it in the morning and reflects all the autumn leaves. Spectacular.
Again, not a stellar photo but the leaves on the pond almost looked solid, as if you could walk on the water. That mossy ridge to the right is stonework at the top of the dam and where the water spills over. Jules and I are really lucky to have such a nice walk!
Okay: the odd box is a hunting camera set up by someone (probably with a gun) to monitor animal traffic in the area. That's creepy on so many levels. I mean, first of all, it's an unfair advantage for the hunter to know the comings and goings of the woodland denizens. Secondly, it's creepy that I am on their camera (as well as other woods walkers that I know), especially the first time I saw it when I pushed my face right up to it and got a great big look at it. They also have images of me taking pictures of it. Plain and simple, I think it's icky that this thing is out in the nice peaceful woods, anyway. Can't we get away from technology anywhere? But here it is a week later and it's gone. Either set up in another location or at home where "they" can watch all us animals on their computer.

No comments:

Post a Comment