Monday, June 30, 2014

Fussy Eaters

Doesn't that look delicious? And quite the flavor assortment, attractively presented... Jules is being offered the equivalent of the "all you can eat buffet", and he turns up his nose. (He even has a handmade personalized place mat and still he refuses to eat!) I have heard that male dogs are less fussy that females, but try telling that to The Dog. I fear he's gone on a hunger strike, except that he seems to believe that old kleenexes and squirrel fecal material are tasty alternatives to wholesome, holistic organic doggie trail mix. (The above offered biscuit option is sweet potato and granola; can we get any more wholesome than that?) And how could I neglect to mention that Mr. Dog has an uncanny ability to know when the bag of dog food is 2/3 empty and starts refusing his dinner? I am not even purchasing the big 30 pound bags that could possibly go stale or taste "old". I am spending more by buying the 15 pound bag which would seem to retain it's factory freshness. But The Dog knows and I must bring home a new bag (and show it to him as I bring it into the house) so that he can rest assured I'm not pawning the stale dregs off on him.
Here he is: playing dead and being (typically) melodramatic when asked if he's interested in eating. He seems to be saying, "Go away. Do not bother me with that tasteless, disgusting dreck". I keep insisting that we don't want him becoming pale and weak. Poor thing! All he can do is lay there!
And The Horse? Just as bad!
Here Maggie is, ignoring me and my pleas to get out and graze. I painstakingly assemble temporary pastures for her and she prefers to stand in the barn, awaiting my deliveries of hay and grain, the equine equivalent of "Take Out". I think she feels grazing is beneath her and altogether too much work.
Look at all that green stuff to chow down on! But her response is to amble about, putting nose to ground in a desultory manner, picking halfheartedly at a few blades of grass and then returning to the barn. Fussy eaters!
Bob and I have no such compunction. We clean our plates. It is a rare occasion indeed when we miss a meal or pass up on seconds. Bring it on!


No comments:

Post a Comment