Saturday, February 7, 2015

Grumble Grumble Grumble

For Christmas, I bought Bob a butterfly chair and along with it (as it had been an auction lot) was this painting. Sort of a bonus and I found it rather charming. Fortunately, Bob liked it too, and even thought it looked a lot like our backyard, with the deck and potted plant and the view through our spindly pine and spruce trees. It also looks a lot like a place I'd rather be than stuck here in the friggin' Winter Wonderland!
I know I have lots of company in the hating of this eternal winter so I'm going to complain for a paragraph or two. A community vent! That' all anyone is talking about- at the gas station, the post office, the checkout at the grocery store. And we're supposed to have three straight days of the stuff. Enough already!
How about one of those famous bulleted lists?

  • I detest the combo platter of too much snow AND really frigid temperature. Please: one or the other would be sufficient.
  • I hate the fact that I have to keep schlepping buckets of water to my poor horse Maggie who thinks she's been exiled to Siberia. (She has; just don't let her in on that). My arms have been permanently stretched. I look like a gorilla.
  • My morning walks- the only real chance to get exercise- is shorter as the dirt road is covered in twelve inches of slippery snow (ice conveniently hidden underneath) and it's so damned cold that no matter what I wear, my nose is exposed and freezes. I had icicles on my eye lashes for god's sake!
  • Do you really feel creative when all those "creative juices" are barely flowing and need antifreeze? Besides, how inspiring is endless white and frostbitten fingers? 
  • People- including friends- are crabby and depressed thanks to evil weather. Who can blame them? Except we're all in this together and we'd better be nice!
  • I used to like Ground Hog's Day. And then it became this stupid stunt where nasty politicians pick up and drop defenseless animals... and kill them! (It happened). Who can blame on of the ground hogs for biting its handler? Leave the furry little things alone! No wonder they predict more winter. They hate us.
  • I don't particularly like the fact that it takes me ten minutes to get dressed appropriately to go outside. Too many layers and by the time you're dressed you don't really feel like going outside anyway.
  • Then you come back in and create piles and piles of wet clothes. Every time you go out, you produce gloves, sock, pants, hats, scarves and long under wear that require drying. I had to buy more gloves and socks as nothing dried quickly enough for donning for the next foray into the Arctic. And of course we all leave wet trails all over the house. Floors a mess...
  • I'm getting fatter by the minute. Blame the lack of exercise (see above) and way too much comfort food. Hell, we need comforting but I can't stop eating. There's not much else to do.
  • I haven't even been a regular blog poster because the weather has been too awful. This is the result; a boring diatribe about the weather.
  • At least we've been sleeping well. But I attribute that to a desire to permanently hibernate. Wake us up when it's over.
  • Are we done whining yet? Any one want to add anything? People driving like assholes despite lousy road conditions? Huge piles of snow at the ends of driveways and secondary roads that make pulling out into traffic seriously hazardous? The fact that I looked ahead to next weeks weather and it's no better? In fact it's even colder??? Stop!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment