Thursday, March 10, 2011

Bureaucratic Idiocy Session #2

Here's the second nature shot to peruse while reading my semi-dull tale of paperwork perversion. I'd hoped to present the sweetened condensed verison but I'm notoriously longer winded!
So I promised that I had two tales of Bureaucratic Idiocy to recount. (Believe me, if prodded, I could certainly think of a few hundred more...) The second episode centers on our electric bill. Back in January, I paid a bill that I felt was a bit high but I figured that there was some transfer of account fee or an unpaid balance on our old address. I was so busy doing all the changes involved in moving that I didn't follow up on it. But February's bill comes and it's a killer. I was seeing red and suspecting that we'd moved to some strange Bermuda trinagle where electric bills were twice as high until I re-looked at the bill more carefully. I saw that the problem was with the utility: they were charging us for electric use at both houses. I called the company and the woman who "serviced my account" (sounds sexual) assured me she saw the error and would issue a new bill. I thought that was the end of that.
How naive am I? The new "corrected" bill arrived promptly and was even less correct than the previous one. My payment was not reflected and even weirder was the fact that they dropped our new home's electric account and continued to bill us for the old address. What really took balls was there assertion that our account was now overdue. I spent another twenty miunutes on the phone today and am eagerly awaiting our latest installment of incorrect billing. What has me less than sanguine that this will be resolved soon is that the person to whom I spoke on the phone said she "had to create a whole new account" in order to rectify this msunderstanding... that doesn't bode well!

No comments:

Post a Comment