Thursday, March 17, 2011

What Could Be Hom-ier?

(Above, a partial bowl of chocolate chip cookie dough. Some has been baked and some has been consumed raw. Face it: you're either a dough eater or not.*)
When Bob and I were residing in our interim house, the one thing that proved especially hard for us was that the oven didn't work. Bob breaks amazing bread (French sticks and conventional loaf-shaped loaves and the occasional boule). The only cooking I do is in the form of cookies, muffins and cakes. (I am the "entertainment director" where I work, in charge of themed cakes).
It has been especially important to our sense of rootedness to start baking again. The house smells so good and it makes it feel like "home". This is a real boon when it's been hard to feel like we're anywhere; what with moving twice and our studios both still in states of raucous confusion. And now with the troubles that have plagued Japan, it's essential to be able to enjoy creature comforts like freshly baked food.

* I am an inveterate raw dough eater. I could give a hang about bacteria; I've been consuming dough and batter of all kinds since I was young. Hasn't killed me yet. Just watch someone tell me I have a greater chance of dying from salmonella than I do from radioactive fallout!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment