Saturday, February 16, 2013

A Brief Exploration of Time- That Leads Nowhere



(I fully expect that this post will be tedious for anyone except the narrator, much like other people's dreams. I accept the fact that most of what I say here will be hackneyed and predictable and provoke a well-deserved yawn. Therefore, you have my tacit permission to simply enjoy the pictures (of two objects I got for free from work! They were to be tossed out!) and get on about your day's business and ignore my purple prose!)
Ahem. I can't help but wonder all the cliched things about time- like where it goes. I think I'm a pretty good manager of time- MY time- and yet lately I seem to be experiencing this remarkable lack of time. I have heard that that's a fact of growing older: that time passes more quickly. Part of me is sure that the acceleration of time occurs because "they" have thought up so very many way to spend it. (I suspect I'm considering Facebook, oil changes, going to work, posting to one's blog...)
Perhaps worthy of contemplation here is the anecdote (by way of John Cage) about Arnold Schoenberg. Apparently he had a piano student that hadn't finished her assignment. When asked why, she responded, "I had no time". Arnold Schoenberg asked her, "How many hours are there in a day?" She answered, "Twenty four". Schoenberg responded, "There are as many hours in a day as you put there". Nice!
But small things do chew up the day. I should be cleaning our house; both bathrooms will soon be condemned and the kitchen floor is giving me nightmares. But would I rather get into my studio and try and accomplish some of the thirty thousand ideas and projects that are swirling around in my head? Or have a clean house... No, that's too easy a question. When do other people do things like purchase dental floss or organize the last five years worth of tax documents or strip wallpaper or sort their socks?
So instead of cleaning the house, I made silly computer drawings and tried to work on a collage project. Somehow I never feel like I've done enough. I was awash in the awful sensation that I hadn't accomplished a bloody thing in months. Then I came across several completed projects that should have allayed my insecurities... but did it? No. I found myself feeling doomed and condemned to grind away in obscurity.
I suppose frittering away one's day worrying about where the time goes is the opposite of a Zen approach where you are so in the moment that you never project onto every other bloody thing you could/should be doing. But isn't that what anxiety is all about? The inability to "be here now" because you're preoccupied with what ifs and why me-s and whens.
Anyway, I really liked the dragon plate and the weird little Italian sculpture of a knight and horse falling. I would have purchased either one but free is a-okay. And odd objects help to distract and redirect all that scattered energy. I guess we all worry that things (like our lives) stream past in a blur... and we're supposed to make every minute count. I know I'm not solving any of this here and now, but I guess it was worth spending twenty minutes putting up a post.


No comments:

Post a Comment