Sunday, August 12, 2012

Crispin in Heaven


This is a picture of Crispin and the friendly ghost. Actually, it's our Georgia Belle peach tree swaddled in row cover to protect it from Crispin's eager lips. The horse has proven that he will try to eat anything green, with pretty dramatic efforts being on display in the raspberry/ blackberry department. I innocently thought that thorns would deter him, but was proven wrong. So whenever I move his temporary fencing, I cover grapes, berry bushes and trees.
Temporary horse fencing is the best! They make these cheap ($2 a post) fiberglass poles (fixed up with pre-atatched wire holders) that you just step in. (No digging and they weigh nothing. You can carry a bundle of twenty very easily.) You string electric wire fence between the poles and Voila! Instant pasture. Just don't tell Crispin that we didn't spring for the solar powered fence charger... He thinks it's electric and it works like a charm. I rotate his grazing area every three days or so. We haven't had to mow a large section of our property all summer and he gets all the benefits of nice fresh green grass. Crispin stands at the gate and neighs at me when he sees me re-installing the portable fencing; he knows he's put me to work doing something productive and that soon he'll be dining in style.

No comments:

Post a Comment